|Purse by Lyn Lyndall|
A lot of people collect owl items. Bet you know a few who do. Owls are cool creatures and we have lots of things for owl lovers at the gallery - purses, hats, jewelry and more. Shop with us for your owl fans.
|Business card case by Lyn Lyndall|
Here is some owl trivia to perhaps convince you to be an owl fan:
- There are more than 150 species of owls in the world, and some
counts indicate more than 220 species depending on how different owls
are classified. Only 19 owl species are found in North America.
- Owls are found in all different habitats and there are different owl species found on all continents except Antarctica.
- All owls have upright posture and forward-facing eyes that give them binocular vision, just like humans.
- Many owl species have asymmetrical ears that are different sizes and different heights on their heads. This gives the birds superior hearing and the ability to pinpoint where prey is located, even if they can't see it.
|Niki Fisk pendant|
- The flattened facial disk of an owl funnels sound to the bird's
ears and magnifies it as much as ten times to help the bird hear noises
humans can't detect.
- An owl's eyes are supported by bony eye sockets and they cannot turn their eyes. Instead, owls rotate their heads up to 270 degrees, but they cannot turn their heads all the way around.
|Lucy Boyd puppet|
- An owl has three eyelids: one for blinking, one for sleeping and one for keeping the eye clean and healthy.
- A barn owl can eat up to 1,000 mice each year, and many farmers try to attract barn owls to help control rodent populations in agricultural fields.
- Owls are carnivorous and will eat rodents, small or medium sized mammals, nocturnal insects, fish and other birds. After digesting their food, owls regurgitate hard pellets of compressed bones, fur, teeth, feathers and other materials they couldn't digest. Ornithologists study those pellets to learn more about an owl's diet.
|Bead earrings by Freedom Littlewolf|
|Carved wood owl by Lance and Kim Long|
|Owl cap by Wendy Allen|